크게 작게 위로 아래로 댓글로 가기 인쇄 첨부
?

단축키

Prev이전 문서

Next다음 문서

크게 작게 위로 아래로 댓글로 가기 인쇄 첨부
Bon Appétit

They’re spicy, pickled, and essential to my life
The truth about my refrigerator is that even when it’s empty, it’s full … of condiments. There's a reason for that besides the fact that most of them will never go bad, and because I believe a girl can’t have too many hot sauces. Condiments are the razzle dazzle that make all of my meals—even the super quick and not very inventive ones—feel properly accessorized and worthy of the yum-yum noises I expect my family to make when they eat my food. Yes, I include basics like mayo and mustard, Crystal hot sauce, Sriracha, and miso paste. But there are a few others that have graduated into the almost-daily rotation. Here’s my condiment clique and how I like to show them off.

Prepared Horseradish
What delivers wasabi-level nose tingles along with the pucker of a full-sour pickle? Horseradish, that’s what. I just look at the bottle and the phrase “a little dab’ll do ya” pops into my head. Mix it into sour cream or Greek yogurt with a lot of black pepper and big pinch of kosher salt and it’s the dollop you want next to steak, roasted sweet potatoes, chicken thighs, or a bag of potato chips. Stir it into pan drippings from cooking a pork chop or chicken cutlet along with a splash of water, some lemon juice and butter and you’ve got a horseradish jus. It can be served as is next to braises (think: brisket) or long-roasted pork shoulder. I also love it on a sandwich with bread, softened butter, and ham.

Kimchi
I’ve eaten a lot of cabbage on quarantine. But you know what’s better than cabbage? Spicy fermented Korean cabbage, that’s what. Kimchi is on every grocery list I ever write—along with good bread and cold brew, it is an item that I would not, and shall not live without. It’s technically a banchan, or side dish, but I treat it like an all-purpose go-with for just about any meal. It lands on the table more meals than not, draped over whichever protein we’re having, from roast turkey to fried eggs. It ends up in all of the grain bowls, from the healthyish ones with farro and lentils, to the quasi-Mexican ones with black beans, rice, and shredded cheese. Speaking of cheese, it is amazing chopped up and layered into a grilled cheese, and kimchi juice makes a pretty great tequila chaser. I made an emergency taco with leftover sweet potatoes and kimchi the other day for a very late lunch and let’s just say—would eat again. 

6sN5WzEEvRu.jpg

Pepperoncini
Nothing makes me salivate like looking at a jar of pepperoncini. So sour! So spicy! So squidgy, but in a good way! Pepperoncini (or banana peppers, if that’s what your store has) complete any antipasto board and are MVPs in Italian-style chopped salad, but they also end up in my tuna salad, my grain salads, and my salad salads. I put them on salami sandwiches and quesadillas. I prefer the whole ones to the pre-sliced ones, but will not make a big deal about it if sliced is all I can get.  

Marina Sauce
Full disclosure: Tutto Calabria’s Marina Sauce is not easy to find. I had the good fortune of picking up a jar a couple of weeks before stay-at-home orders went into effect. I cannot get enough of this stuff, but I also cannot get more till this is over, so I have to be careful how I use it! It’s got all the red chile heat and delicious oily texture of the original calabrian chile paste, but with tiny little fishes mixed in! It’s the perfect blend of fiery and funky, more oily than vinegary, and hot like a Sicilian summer. I love it on crackers with butter and jarred anchovies, it’s awesome flicked all over a mozzarella and tomato salad, it’s indispensable on pan pizza night, and you can cool it down with some yogurt and use that as a bed for roasted or boiled potatoes. Mamma mia!

Remember, condiments are great because they round up many ingredients into one efficient delivery system (jar, bottle, or tub). You can keep everything simple with your technique and the rest of your meal, and let the condiment be the disco ball that turns dinner into a party. A party in your mouth, of course.

Carla Lalli Music
Food editor at large
Follow Carla on Instagram and Twitter.
  • ?
    億實 2020.05.08 00:18

그것들은 맵고 절여진 것이며 내 생활에 필수적이다.

내 냉장고는 사실 텅비었을 때에도 소스들로 가득차 있다. 거기에는 소스들 대부분이 상하지 않는다는 이유 외에 다른 이유가 있다. 그리고 여자는 매운 소스를 아무리 많이 갖고있어도 지나치지 않다고 나는 믿기 때문이다.. 소스들은 나의 음식 전부를-아무리 잽싸게 만든 독창적이지 않은 음식이라도-적절히 장식하고 나의 가족들이 내 음식을 먹을 때 얌얌 맛있게 먹을 만하게 만드는 매력적인 것이다. 당연 나는 기본적인 소스들인 마요네즈, 머스타드, 크리스탈 핫소스, 스리라차, 그리고 미소된장을 갖고 있다. 하지만 몇가지 다른 것들도 있는데 그것들은 거의 매일 돌아가며 사용하게 되었다. 다음은 내가 애용하는 나만의 소스들이며 내가 매우 자랑하고 싶어하는 것들이다.

조리한 서양고추냉이

쭈글쭈글한 매우 신 피클과 함께 와사비 수준으로 코를 얼얼하게 만드는 것은 무엇일까? 서양고추냉이다. 나는 병을 쳐다볼 때 소량만으로도 충분해요라는 문구가 문득 떠올랐다. 그것을 사우어 크림이나 그릭 요거트와 섞고 흑후추 듬뿍, 코셔 소금 한 꼬집을 넣어라. 그러면 그것은 당신이 스테이크나 구운 고구마, 닭다리 혹은 감자칩 한봉지에 곁들이고 싶은 부드러운 덩어리가 된다. 돼지고기나 치킨 커틀릿에서 나오는 기름에 그것을 넣어서 저어라. 그리고 소량의 물, 레몬주스, 버터를 넣으면 고추냉이 소스가 된다. 그것은 브헤제 요리(양지머리를 생각해보라)나 오래 구운 돼지 목살에 곁들여 낼 수 있다. 나는 또한 그것을 빵, 녹인버터, 햄과 함께 샌드위치에 넣어 먹는 것도 좋아한다.

김치

나는 격리기간 동안 많은 배추를 먹었다. 그런데 배추보다 더 좋은게 뭔지 아는가? 맵고 발효시킨 한국 배추이다. 김치는 내가 작성한 모든 식료품 목록에 있다-맛있는 빵, 더치커피와 함께 김치는 나에게 없어서는 안되는 식품이다. 그것은 엄밀히 말하자면 반찬, 즉 곁들이 음식이지만 나는 그것을 어떤 음식과도 어울리는 다목적 식품으로 취급한다. 김치는 식사를 할 때 더 많이 식탁에 놓이며 구운 칠면조요리에서 계란 프라이까지 우리가 먹는 어떠한 단백질 요리에도 곁들여진다. 그것은 파로와 렌틸콩이 있는 건강한 음식에서 검정콩, , 잘게 다진 치즈를 넣은 유사 멕시코 음식에 이르기까지 모든 곡물 요리에도 함께 먹는다. 치즈 얘기가 나왔으니 말인데, 김치를 다져서 구운 치즈 속에 켜켜이 넣어 먹으면 맛이 끝내주고 김치 국물은 테낄라를 마신 뒤에 먹기에 매우 훌륭하다. 나는 며칠 전에 매우 늦은 점심으로 남아 있는 고구마와 김치로 재빨리 타코를 만들었다. 맛이 어땠냐하면 이렇게만 말해두겠다-다시 또 만들어 먹을 것이다.

페페론치니

페레론치니 병을 쳐다보는 것보다 더 침이 고이게 하는 것은 나에게 없다. 너무나 시고 맵고 말랑하지만 좋은 쪽으로 그렇다! 페페론치니(혹은 그것이 당신네 가게에 있는 것이라면바나나 고추)는 어떤 전채요리도 완전한 것으로 만들고 이태리 식 잘게 다진 샐러드에서 최고이지만 그것은 또한 나의 참치 샐러드, 곡물 샐러드 그리고 나의 샐러드 식 샐러드에 도 들어간다. 나는 그것을 살라미 샌드위치와 퀘사디야에 넣는다. 나는 미리 잘라진 것보다 통으로 된 것을 더 좋아하지만 잘라진 것밖에 없다 해도 별 상관없다.

마리나 소스

완전 공개: 투토 칼라브리아의 마리나 소스는 찾기가 쉽지 않다. 외출금지 명령이 발효되기 두어 주 전에 나는 그 소스 한 병을 살 수 있는 행운을 누렸다. 나는 이것으로 충분하지 않지만 또한 이 사태가 끝날 때까지는 더 살 수도 없기에 그것을 어떻게 이용할지 유의해야 한다. 그것은 붉은 칠리의 매운 맛과 오리지널 칼라브리언 칠리 페이스트의 맛있는 기름진 질감을 갖고 있지만 매우 작은 생선이 섞여 있다. 그것은 매운 맛과 고약한 냄새의 완벽한 혼합이며 식초보다 더 기름지고 시칠리아의 여름처럼 뜨겁다. 나는 그것을 버터와 병에 든 앤초비와 함께 크래커에 올려 먹는 것을 좋아한다. 모짜렐라와 토마토 샐러드 위에 휙 뿌려먹으면 아주 맛있고 팬 피자에 반드시 있어야 하며 약간의 요거트로 그것의 매운 맛을 좀 가라앉힐 수 있고 그것을 접시에 깔고 그 위에 굽거나 찐 감자를 올려도 된다. 맘마미아!

많은 재료들을 합쳐 하나의 효율적인 배송 체계(항아리, 병 혹은 튜브에 담아서)로 만들 수 있기에 소스들은 훌륭하다는 것을 기억하라. 당신은 당신만의 기법으로 모든 것을 단순하게 만들고 당신의 식사도 단순하게 유지할 수 있다. 소스가 당신의 식사를 파티로 만들어줄 디스코 볼이 되게 할 수 있다. 물론, 당신 입속에서 벌어지는 파티이지만.

Carla Lalli Music

Food editor at large

• ?
    토우젠 2020.05.11 00:55
    맘마미아!
    소스로 하나의 세계를 창조해낼 수 있군요.
    맘마미아!

List of Articles
번호 제목 글쓴이 날짜 조회 수
191 엄마의 서재(2) 희망이 들어오는 길 file 는길 2022.02.04 233
190 어느 잃어버린 장소의 복원 해완 2022.02.03 154
189 essay 澹 2. 존재의 온도 肖澹 2022.02.02 287